Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Healthy Holiday Meals – Roasted Kabocha Squash with Sage and Rosemary



December seems to be the month of celebration. With all of the religious holidays, New Years, and my fabulous mother’s birthday there are so many reasons to be excited, thankful and of course to eat gluttonous food.

It is really easy to start snacking and nibbling on foods that aren’t so great for us during this time of year because they seem to be at every turn. But I’ve got your back! I have a few holiday treat and meal ideas that will make the holiday season just as enjoyable and delicious but without feeling like garbage afterwards.

I started to make this dip and stopped after roasting the squash because it was just so amazing! 



You need:
  • 1 Kabocha squash sliced about 1 inch thick (keep skin on)
  • ½ cup coconut oil
  • 1 tbsp chopped fresh rosemary
  • 1 tbsp chopped fresh sage
  • Sea Salt and pepper to taste

Directions:
    1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
    2. Cover the squash in coconut oil and place in a baking dish.
    3. Sprinkle with herbs and salt.
    4. bake for 30-35 min
    5. When finished the fork should go through the squash easily and pull out clean. 

This dish is so warm and perfectly wintery, I was eating by itself.  I realize there are 2 other dishes in this picture; but of course I'm going to milk 3 blogs out of one meal!

Regardless if you are adding a side dish to your family gathering, contributing to a pot luck, or trying to impress someone you have a huge crush on this holiday season, I guarantee this healthy, quick and unbelievable dish will do the trick! Keep making yourself a priority even with sugary and unhealthy foods all over the place. If you are having trouble avoiding these things and want to make yourself a priority I am now taking clients for personal training and/or nutrition counseling. You can email me at plantbasedpaige@gmail.com or hit me up on FB.

More to come this week: black eye pea croquettes, kale super food salad (both pictured) and healthy holiday treat gift boxes! 

No comments:

Post a Comment