My study materials arrived yesterday for my personal training certificate! I’ve been using loaner books until now. As of today I have my very own – I feel official. I spent a solid two hours at Train Gym today; side note I absolutely love this place. I’ve never walked into a gym and felt comfortable before. It is privately owned and everyone there has been incredibly nice. More on that later…..
After my two hour leg work out, I was famished! Luckily I planned ahead and brought celery sticks to munch on and a Vega protein bar for recovery. Those bars are not only Plant Based Paige approved but so f-ing delicious I swear I work out more just as an excuse to eat them. The great thing about all Vega products is they only use truly natural sweeteners like stevia or dates.
Avoiding traditional sugars (white, brown, cane) are vital to your health. Dropping those crappy sweeteners was one of the best things I did for my body, skin, moods, and energy levels.
To keep this simple I’m just going to toss out a few facts about sugar and what it does to the body. Please feel free to add any questions or comments to the comment section!
· White sugar leeches you of minerals contributing to anemia, osteoporosis and anxiety among other things.
· With sugar we lose B vitamins, calcium, phosphorus, iron and peace of mind.
· Produces acidic blood (because it steals alkaline minerals).
§ Viruses, cancer and all other types of illness love an acid environment.
· It causes inflammation and can constrict nerves causing pain.
· Can contribute to chronic spasm, scattered thinking and is considered a major player in mental illnesses like Schizophrenia.
· Sugar is addictive and may be the underlying factor in every addictive behavior: depression, compulsive behavior, scattered thinking, and in states of withdraw: lethargy, intense cravings, anger, negativity, night sweats, nightmares, and crying to name a few.
· Messes with our pancreas and insulin levels that can lead to diabetes.
· Sugar causes weight gain because it supplies only empty, low quality calories and excessive carbohydrates that are converted to fat.
· Some studies show that sugar can actually age the skin faster causing wrinkles, pimples, dry and/or splotchy skin.
· Coupled with other negatives influences it contributes to the eventual breakdown of the body.
Now the good news! You need sugar in your life. Good quality sugar. I’ve heard people talk about a completely sugar free diet (including no fruit) which is a bad thing. The brain cannot function on anything but glucose. Fruit is glucose in the body. Some facts:
· Less refined sweeteners made from fermented complex carbohydrates, like brown rice syrup, barley malt, and amasake, take a longer time to hit he bloodstream and don’t take us on quiet the roller coaster ride.
· Maple syrup and molasses also contain lots of minerals to help metabolize them well.
· The sugar in fruit is un-tampered with and supplies the body with the nutrients it craves. It also supplies fiber.
When talking to younger people about nutrition I always get this sense that they aren’t worried about it. Many still have that “invincibility” thing going on. I highly encourage you to think about future you. If you have parents in the retirement age talk to them, go to an event with them and see what the topics of conversation are for that age range, in my experience: death, disease, cancer, diabetes, weight issues, etc. AGING DOES NOT HAVE TO BE THIS WAY. Make yourself a priority and start eating, acting, and being better now.
There is a great quote from Fit for Life that sums it up.
“Picture a large bay window. If you were to throw a small pebble at the window, it would not break. But throw one hundred thousand small pebbles, and the window will shatter. Each negative influence on your body is like one pebble, and all together those influences can and will break down your body’s health.”
For your sweet tooth check out my chocolate lavender cheesecake!