Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Pumpkin Bars with "Cream Cheese" Frosting and Preparing for your Thanksgiving Feast



With Thanksvegan just a few days away I want to give you guys some great last minute ides on what to make and how to take care of yourselves!

First things first – how to take care of you! Some suggestions:
  • In the morning drink warm water with lemon. This is a great way to detoxify and I suggest doing it daily.
  • Have a green smoothie for breakfast. Any combo of dark leafy greens and fruit. This will set your system for the day and give you lots of energy.
  • For lunch have a salad. If you know you are going to eat more than normal for your holiday meal - go lighter before then so you aren’t over doing it all day long.
  • Take a vegan digestive enzyme. They help repair DNA, help digest food, and help assimilate the nutrients in food.
  • Eat a salad or something green right before your celebration meal. This is a general rule I do everyday. This clears the pathway of your intestines for anything that might be coming, and helps digest.
  • Eat a little raw sauerkraut with your meal. This is a magic trick I swear! Whenever I eat something that doesn’t agree with me I take a fork full of raw sauerkraut. It must be the raw version.  
  • Try not to over do it! Just because there is a lot of food in front of you does not mean you need to stuff yourself silly.
  • Chew!!! Each bite 50-100 times. This helps with pre-digestion making it easy for the food to pass through your system and will help you enjoy the food longer yet eat less.
  • Plan ahead. If you are not hosting this year and have no control over the meal bring a few things for yourself and to share. There are lots of great traditional dishes you can make healthier.

On to the yummy stuff!

I have a confession. I’m completely obsessed with all things pumpkin. I found out this weekend that Teeccino makes a pumpkin drink and nearly died.

If you want to make something fall themed but don’t have the time for it or just don’t want to put all that effort into making a pie or difficult dessert Pumpkin Bars are your answer! I honestly don’t think this could get any easier. 



Ingredients:
1/2 c. gluten free flour
1 tsp. cinnamon
1/4 tsp. pumpkin pie spice
1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. baking soda
1/4 tsp. salt
5 tbsp. maple syrup
1/2 c. canned pumpkin (or cooked, pureed pumpkin)
2 tbsp. nondairy milk
2 tbsp. coconut oil
1/2 tsp. pure vanilla extract

Directions:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
  • Combine dry ingredients in a bowl.
  • Add in wet ingredients.
  • Spread mixture into an oiled 8x8 pan and cook for 20 minutes.

That is seriously it! 

I added a bit of raw cream cheese frosting but they are very good on their own. For some variations you could add chocolate chips or nuts to the batter.

Frosting
1 cup sunflower seeds, soaked 1+ hours
6 pitted dates, also soaked 1+ hours (you can soak them together!)
Dash sea salt
1 tsp lemon juice
Water

Directions:
Process all of the ingredients together until smooth.

After my morning smoothie I'm hitting Train Gym to do a leg work out. Long, lean, sexy legs here I come!

2 comments:

  1. Can I just tell you that I love your blog! I'm definitely making these pumpkin bars for Thanksgiving :) xo

    ReplyDelete