O Valentines Day. It has so many meanings for each individual. Regardless if you celebrate or not you can take advantage of the post V-Day rose sales and not just to spruce up your place.
Roses are another everyday plant that we just pass by. (Remember our talk about dandelion?) So what can you do with roses? Make rosewater! Here's why:
- Improves depression and anxiety (aroma therapy).
- Soothes capillaries.
- Improves circulation.
- Heals sunburn, bug bites, and rashes.
- Curbs skin and bladder infections.
- Helps removing dirt, makeup and oil from the skin (toner).
- Helps in maintaining the pH balance of the skin, and provides calming effect on acne and eczema.
- Adds shine to hair (spray on), can be used as a conditioner, helps controlling dandruff.
- Promotes hair growth.
- Aides digestive issues.
- Remedy for diarrhea and ulcers.
- Soothes inflamed sore throats (gargle).
- Relieves tooth ache.
- Strengthen teeth and provide relief against gum pains. Helps with bad breath.
- Used to clear eye infections.
- Relieves PMS symptoms, menopausal symptoms and gently balances hormones.
- Relives menstrual cramps and improves mood swings.
How to incorporate rosewater into your diet?
Raw Chocolate Rose Cheesecake
For more food pics and ideas follow PlantBasedPaige on instagram, twitter and vine!
- 1¼ cup almonds ½ cup hemp seed
- 2 ounces cacao powder
- 4 ounces date paste
- 2 tbsp liquid vanilla
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
*nut free crust here
- Combine all ingredients in a food processor (only ½ the date paste) and process. It will start to rise up the sides push it down until everything is well combined.
- Add the 2nd half of the date paste and process.
- It should be a mixture that can hold together with gentle pressure and be broken apart with a clean break.
- Distribute crust evenly on the bottom of lightly oiled pan (using coconut oil).
o Put a little coconut oil on your clean hands to get the crust in the pan. I found this keeps the crust from sticking to your hands – a very frustrating experience.
5. Refrigerate until filling is ready.
- 3 cups soaked sunflower seeds
- 2 cups sunflower milk (or any other dairy, nut, and soy free milk)
- ½ cup good quality sweetener (agave if you want it to be truly raw, maple syrup or brown rice syrup work as well)
- ¼ cup vanilla
- ¼ tsp salt
- 3 tbsp lemon juice
- 1tsp finely shredded beets (for the pink color)
- 1tsp food grade rose water (more or less to taste)
- ¼ cup coconut oil
- 3 tbsp sunflower lecithin
- 1 ounce cocoa powder
- 1 tbsp vanilla
- Combine all ingredients for filling except for coconut oil and lecithin.
- Blend well until smooth and creamy. 3-5 minutes.
- Stop blending and add the lecithin and melted coconut oil then blend until smooth.
- If you don’t want to swirl add the cocoa powder to this mixture and blend well.
- Add mixture to pan and freeze for 1-3 hours or until middle of cheesecake is firm to the touch.
- If you DO want to swirl. Remove 1 ½ cups of the mixture and set aside.
- Put the original mixture in the pan.
- Take 1 ½ cups of reserved filling and add cocoa powder, vanilla, and sweetener.
- From here you can swirl or layer depending on what you want to go for.
- When you are done swirling and/or layering freeze for 1-3 hours or until middle of cheesecake is firm to the touch.
What a delicious way to make you and your loved ones a priority this Valentines day!
Other unique - eco friendly - vegan Valentines Day ideas from one of my favorite longevity gurus!