Thursday, December 6, 2012

Healing Spices - Rosemary Pancakes



I haven’t written in a while - so sorry! I’ve had some personal matters to attend to but I’m back.

It was suggested to me to make a list of things that I keep in the house so that when you make it for yourself  the ingredients are already there. I’m going to do a version of that. Over a few blogs I’m going to list some great ingredients that I keep on hand ALWAYS and why.

To start let’s cover healing spices. I feel like it’s “that time of year” where people get sick - and since we've learned that you are in control of your health it seems appropriate to give you some ways to prevent winter illness!

Here are 2 of my favorite spice rack staples that are delicious additions to many recipes and great for the body.

Rosemary
May help prevent and/or treat
  • Anxiety
  • Arthritis, osteo and rheumatoid
  • Blood clots
  • Cancer
  • Depression
  • Dermatitis
  • Type 2 diabetes
  • Gout
  • Heart disease
  • Liver disease
  • Memory loss (age related, mild cognitive decline)
  • Stress
  • Stroke
  • Ulcer
  • Urinary tract infection
  • Wrinkles

Studies have shown
  • It kills carcinogens due to a special blend of antioxidants.
  • In fact it is one of the most powerful antioxidants on earth.
  • Breathing rosemary oil has shown to reduce the stress hormone cortisol.
  • Reduces the misery of radiation sickness.
  • Prevents neurological damages from the toxic pesticide dieldrin.
  • Significantly reduce the growth of two different types of melanoma.
  • Has been used to treat diabetes, respiratory illness, arthritis, and dizziness.
 Rosemary is so delightfully winter. At least in my mind. It makes me feel very cozy and comfortable maybe that's because it's reducing my stress hormones but either way I'll take it! I love it in stuffing, gravy, raw breads and crackers, hummus and so much more! 

Turmeric
May help prevent and/or treat:
  • Acne
  • Allergies
  • Alzheimer’s
  • Arthritis
  • Asthma
  • Blemishes
  • Cancer
  • Cholesterol problems
  • Colitis
  • Cystic fibrosis
  • Depression
  • Dermatitis
  • Diabetes (type 2)
  • Eczema
  • Eye infections
  • Flatulence
  • Gallbladder disease
  • Gout
  • Gum disease
  • Heart disease
  • High blood pressure
  • Itching
  • Liver disease
  • Macular degeneration (age related)
  • Overweight
  • Pain
  • Parkinson’s disease
  • Pollution side-effects
  • Psoriasis
  • Rash
  • Scleroderma
  • Stroke
  • Wounds
 Turmeric vs Cancer
Over 1,000 studies have shown that it can:
  • Inhibit the activation of genes that trigger cancer.
  • Inhibit the spread of tumor cells.
  • Inhibit the transformation of a normal cell into a cancer cell.
  • Kill cells that mutate into cancer cells.
  • Shrink tumor cells.
  • Prevent tumors from spreading to other organs.
  • Prevent the development of the blood supply necessary for cancer cells to form and spread.
Turmeric is wonderfully mild tasting. I've used it in face masks, tofu scramble, stir fry, smoothies (you can't even taste it!) pretty much in anything. It's in my workout recovery drink too since it reduces inflammation.

I use both of these almost daily! In fact I tossed rosemary into my pancakes this morning. Try to use fresh whenever you can.

Just follow your favorite pancake recipe and sprinkle a little big of ground rosemary on top before you flip them over. It is a very warm wintery holiday breakfast! I bet it would be delicious with apples but I didn’t have any.  
 


During the holidays we are so consumed with making sure everyone else is taken care of, be sure to make yourself a priority and get some healthy herbs and spices in your day!

No comments:

Post a Comment