Saturday, December 8, 2012

Warm Winter Squash "Mac and Cheese" with Juicer Pulp!



I need to take a quick beat from talking about Plant Based Paige Pantry Staples and share this discovery with you. I was supposed to go to the store today but didn’t. I wish I could say there was a really good reason for it.

Moving on…

Things that are in my frige right now: cilantro, two carrots, 3 table spoons of green curry, juice pulp, and a bag of greens. That is pretty much it. But I wasn’t about to go hungry! Out of my procrastination came a beautiful discovery. Soy, dairy, nut and gluten free mac and cheese and a way to use juicer pulp!

Here we go:
1 acorn squash (I’m sure other kinds would work as well)
2 tbsp coconut oil
Pinch of sea salt
½ tsp turmeric (mainly for good measure)
1 tsp onion powder
1 garlic clove
¼ cup nutritional yeast
¼ cup seed milk or water
Juicer pulp
Gluten free pasta
Pepper to taste

1.      Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2.      Cut up squash in rings and remove seeds. You can leave the skin on.
3.      Cover squash in coconut oil so that both sides are greased and sprinkle on sea salt.
4.      Cook in oven for 30 min.
5.      Meanwhile cook pasta according to directions.
6.      Remove squash from oven. Place in a blender or food processor (you can still leave the skin on) along with turmeric, onion powder, garlic, nutritional yeast, pepper and seed milk. Process until creamy.
7.      Combine pasta and squash sauce then top with juicer pulp.



This is so sweet and warm. I couldn’t be more pleased with the way it turned out or satisfied with my dinner. I honestly wish I had a reason to make this for other people or pot luck to go to. It was just outstanding!

Even though I didn’t make going to the store a priority today, I made creating a healthy meal for myself one.

Other ingredients I considered using (but got too hungry):
Miso
Crushed red pepper
Broccoli (if I had any)
Sage

Also if you are looking for a vegetable side dish you can just cook the squash as explained above and put it on the side of some burgers, zucchini pasta, or any other main dish.

No comments:

Post a Comment