Yesterday I really needed a hug. I got some unhappy news, I couldn’t get my partents on the phone (they are such a wonderful support system but were traveling) and I am having a really hard time shaking it. Nothing earth shattering but most certainly messing with my mood.
Sometimes when I feel like that I just want to crawl in bed and stay there; perhaps eat too many sweets. But I decided not to do that today. I decided to make myself a priority and do things that make me feel better. I headed over to Train Gym, saw some familiar smiling faces, and with Returners as my soundtrack proceeded to do about an hour of leg work outs. Sometimes I forget how much moving my body can help with stress but it does!
Regular exercise helps regulate hormones, increases oxygen flow, and is a great way to detox (sweating). Don’t worry I plan to do a lot of blogs on hormones and stress!
After that kick ass work out I was famished but I want to stay with the theme of mustgos so I did some poking round in the kitchen and came up with a great idea. Stuffing Burgers!!!!
I had leftover
- Stuffing (mine was GF made from rice, I used about ¼ cup to make 2 patties)
- Vegetable broth
- Liquid smoke (1tsp)
- Dijon mustard (1/2 tablespoon)
- Ground flax seed (about ¾ cup)
- Tamari (omit if you want to be soy free) (1 tsp)
So this is what I did.
- Chop mushrooms and onions, put in a pan with vegetable broth (not quite covering them).
- Cook on low heat until all liquid is absorbed (this adds flavor and eliminates using oil!)
- Place everything except for the flax seed in a food processor and pulse until well combined.
- Stir in the ground flax seed a little at a time until it reaches a consistency that can be shaped into patties but not too flaxy.
- In a pan heat a little bit of oil (about 1 tsp per patty) on low heat, evenly cook the patty until it is the temperature you like. Mine were a little crisp on the outside and gooey on the inside.
Now you can stop there and eat the crap out of this delicious, savory, burger or add some more! I had a little cranberry sauce left over so I smothered that on top, grilled onion and avocado on top of raw bread (a story for another blog).
Seriously people this was outstanding! So many flavors; savory sage, thyme, rosemary goodness from the stuffing and tangy sweetness of the cranberry sauce.
If you’re feeling not so great, got bad news or just need a pick me up, do yourself a favor, move around a bit then make yourself a delicious, healthy, money saving meal!