The power of leftovers is incredible! When I was a kid we would occasionally have “mustgos” for dinner. Meaning everything in the refrigerator must go! This is a great way to create new recipes and not waste food while making your health a priority. Last night I went in my frige to see what I had and I found: cooked black beans, pumpkin puree, and left over ranch dressing. So I decided to throw them all together and see what happens.
Apparently what happens is deliciousness.
½ cup cooked black beans
½ cup pumpkin puree
½ cup ground flax
½ teaspoon dried basil
½ teaspoon dried sage
Pinch of crushed red pepper
Yields 2 patties.
- Put all ingredients in a food processor and pulse together until well mixed but not too smooth.
- With clean hands form a patty with half of the mixture.
- In a pan,using low to medium heat, warm a table spoon of good quality oil: olive, coconut, and toasted sesame are my favorites.
- Place the patty in the pan and heat evenly on both sides and all the way through. I like to make mine a little crisp! These will be a little gooey on the inside but delicious when hot! (If you like them a little firmer add more flax)
- Repeat for the second patty.
I topped this with some of the ranch dressing left over from my ranch kale chips and put Mashed Garlic Potatoes with Kale from How it all Vegan on the side for a filling fall night dinner that didn’t leave me feeling heavy. All satisfaction with no food coma!
If you have any left overs in your kitchen that you don't know what to do with leave me a comment below and I'll help you think of something.