Thursday, July 11, 2013

Cinnamon Buckwheat Pancakes



When I first went gluten free I never thought I would never have good pancakes again! I tried all of the mixes and a few rounds of making my own batter but was never satisfied.

After many trial and error recipes I finally nailed it using buckwheat (or oat groats)! I have been doing pancakes on Saturdays as a special treat and then I realized I was feeling really great after.

So what is buckwheat?

It’s actually derived from the seed of a flowering plant. Not a grain or cereal and it is in fact gluten free! Just disregard the very confusing name. 

Health Benefits:
  • Fiber, Magnesium, copper, calcium, potassium, and small amounts of B vitamins.
  • Diets that contain buckwheat have been linked to lowered risk of developing high cholesterol and high blood pressure.
  • Buckwheat's beneficial effects are due in part to its rich supply of flavonoids, particularly rutin. Flavonoids are phytonutrients that protect against disease by extending the action of vitamin C and acting as antioxidants.
  • Helps maintain blood flow, keeps platelets from clotting excessively which helps to protect against heart disease.
  • The nutrients in buckwheat may contribute to blood sugar control.
  • Canadian researchers, publishing their findings in the Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry have found new evidence that buckwheat may be helpful in the management of diabetes.
  • May prevent inflammation in the body.
So how do we consume these health boosting granules of delicious? PANCAKES!




Ingredients
  • 2 cups of buckwheat flour - I made my own buckwheat flour (blog coming) but you can get it in the store as well.
  • 2 tsp cinnamon
  • 1 tbsp vanilla
  • 1 tbsp baking powder
  • 2- 2 ½ cups water

Directions
  • Sift all dry ingredients together. (If you don’t have a sifter just mix well)
  • Slowly add water and slowly mix well. You don’t want it to be too watery or too thick.
  • On low to medium heat warm up coconut oil and pour batter into the pan. Drop in chocolate chips or any other additions you might want. Wait for it to brown on one side and slightly bubble on top.
  • Flip over until golden brown.

Drizzle with maple syrup and enjoy!

Now your favorite guilty pleasure breakfast can be your favorite Make Yourself a Priority breakfast.

** I recommend eating these with raw sauerkraut (trust me the sweet and sour thing totally works) or a handful of greens to help with digestion. 

No comments:

Post a Comment